PLS Logistics Services, a leading provider of transportation management, technology and brokerage solutions for industrial shippers announced the results of its recently completed survey of industrial freight carriers on the use of liquefied natural gas powered trucks.
The United States is currently producing natural gas at record rates, with production from shale alone expected to increase 41% by 2020. †As a result of increased supply and lower prices, there has been an increase in trucking industry interest in the feasibility of natural gas vehicles (NGVs) for transporting freight. †
To determine the potential of LNG vehicle use for industrial freight, PLS Logistics Services surveyed senior executives at 100 large industrial freight carriers. † PLS survey respondents are key decision makers at some of the largest industrial trucking companies in the U.S.
Highlights from the Survey:
- The majority of survey respondents (76.1%) were either aware of LNG technology or were actively analyzing its use. †
- The majority of respondents (53.5%) believe LNG has potential in limited applications.
- A smaller group of respondents (22.5%) believe LNG is a viable alternative for current diesel engines.
- A small minority of survey respondents (2.9%) reported that shippers were actively promoting adoption of LNG by their trucking companies.
- When respondents were queried about the barriers to use of LNG from diesel, LNG refueling infrastructure (53.6%) was cited as the largest barrier, followed by the higher cost of LNG vehicles (23.6%).
Commenting on the survey results, PLS Logistics Servicesí Chairman and CEO Greg Burns noted:†"The survey results appear to be a mixed bag for natural gas supporters. †On the one hand, LNG is clearly on the radar and is being actively evaluated by some of the largest trucking companies in the industrial sector. †On the other hand, less than 10% of senior executives currently believe LNG will be widely adopted of over-the-road trucking. PLS believes LNG has an important role to play as a U.S. energy source, and our future surveys will track adoption rates and attitudes towards this alternative fuel in the future. "
More detailed survey results are available via PLSí website:†
About PLS Logistics Services
PLS Logistics Services is a leading provider of logistics management, brokerage and technology services for industrial shippers. †PLS handles over one million loads annually across all major freight modes: flatbed, van, LTL, rail & barge, air & ocean. †The PLS network consists of over 22,000+ trucking companies along with Class-1 railroads and major barge companies.